What is involved in Data recovery
Find out what the related areas are that Data recovery connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Data recovery thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Data recovery journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Data recovery leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Data recovery related domains to cover and 172 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Data recovery, Adaptation data, Anti-computer forensics, Comparison of file systems, Computer file, Computer forensics, Continuous data protection, Data archaeology, Data erasure, Data loss, Data recovery hardware, Data recovery software, Data remanence, Dd rescue, Disk partition, Electronic devices, End user, Error detection and correction, Factory reset, File carving, File deletion, File manager, File system, File system fragmentation, Flash memory, Gutmann method, Hard disk drive, Hard disk drive failure, Hard disk drive platter, Head crash, Hidden file and hidden directory, Live CD, Magnetic force microscope, Magnetic tape data storage, Master boot record, National Industrial Security Program, Operating system, Optical disc authoring software, Partition table, Physical information security, Printed circuit board, Read/write head, Removable media, Secondary storage, Solid-state drive, Tape drive, USB flash drive:
Data recovery Critical Criteria:
Match Data recovery governance and create a map for yourself.
– Do the Data recovery decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Data recovery?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Data recovery?
– What is the most competent data recovery service in the us?
Adaptation data Critical Criteria:
Match Adaptation data quality and budget for Adaptation data challenges.
– Does Data recovery systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– What threat is Data recovery addressing?
Anti-computer forensics Critical Criteria:
Consolidate Anti-computer forensics leadership and balance specific methods for improving Anti-computer forensics results.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Data recovery product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Data recovery strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– Does Data recovery analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
Comparison of file systems Critical Criteria:
Focus on Comparison of file systems risks and correct better engagement with Comparison of file systems results.
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Data recovery? There might be some that are less obvious?
– How do we go about Comparing Data recovery approaches/solutions?
– Is Supporting Data recovery documentation required?
Computer file Critical Criteria:
Collaborate on Computer file quality and observe effective Computer file.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a Data recovery process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the Data recovery process available?
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Data recovery process?
– Have you identified your Data recovery key performance indicators?
– Are all computer files backed up on a regular basis?
Computer forensics Critical Criteria:
Concentrate on Computer forensics visions and intervene in Computer forensics processes and leadership.
– How do you determine the key elements that affect Data recovery workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Data recovery services/products?
– Does Data recovery analysis show the relationships among important Data recovery factors?
– Who needs Computer Forensics?
Continuous data protection Critical Criteria:
Chat re Continuous data protection goals and integrate design thinking in Continuous data protection innovation.
– Do those selected for the Data recovery team have a good general understanding of what Data recovery is all about?
– How is the value delivered by Data recovery being measured?
Data archaeology Critical Criteria:
Extrapolate Data archaeology issues and balance specific methods for improving Data archaeology results.
– What are all of our Data recovery domains and what do they do?
– How do we manage Data recovery Knowledge Management (KM)?
– Does Data recovery appropriately measure and monitor risk?
Data erasure Critical Criteria:
Reconstruct Data erasure leadership and differentiate in coordinating Data erasure.
– Is there a Data recovery Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Data recovery project?
– How do we keep improving Data recovery?
Data loss Critical Criteria:
Accelerate Data loss engagements and gather Data loss models .
– The goal of a disaster recovery plan is to minimize the costs resulting from losses of, or damages to, the resources or capabilities of your IT facilities. The success of any database disaster recovery plan depends a great deal on being able to determine the risks associated with data loss. What is the impact to your business if the data is lost?
– Is a technical solution for data loss prevention -i.e., systems designed to automatically monitor for data leakage -considered essential to enterprise risk management?
– Are there any other areas of CCM that could be used for more effective audits and timely identification of aberrant activities -e.g., monitoring IT controls?
– Do you have a policy in place to deal with data being lost or stolen (e.g., who needs to be notified, what steps need to be taken to mitigate damages)?
– Are IT and executive management cognizant and being responsive to protecting organizations from data loss breaches?
– What are the minimum data security requirements for a database containing personal financial transaction records?
– Are the files employees work on outside of the office transferred into the office system on a regular basis?
– What is a standard data flow, and what should be the source and destination of the identified data?
– Do you know where your organizational data comes from, where it is stored, and how it is used?
– Are audit plans and programs being modified / created to address data loss prevention?
– What is your risk level compared to that of peer companies or competitors?
– How has the economy impacted how we determine ongoing vendor viability?
– Are there effective automation solutions available to help with this?
– What processes are in place to govern the informational flow?
– What is the retention period of the data?
– Who has (or can have) access to my data?
– What do we hope to achieve with a DLP deployment?
– What about spot-checking instead?
– Where is the data?
– What is the data?
Data recovery hardware Critical Criteria:
Consider Data recovery hardware goals and catalog Data recovery hardware activities.
– Is maximizing Data recovery protection the same as minimizing Data recovery loss?
– Is the Data recovery organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
Data recovery software Critical Criteria:
Systematize Data recovery software risks and visualize why should people listen to you regarding Data recovery software.
– How likely is the current Data recovery plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
Data remanence Critical Criteria:
Air ideas re Data remanence strategies and spearhead techniques for implementing Data remanence.
– How do mission and objectives affect the Data recovery processes of our organization?
– Are we Assessing Data recovery and Risk?
Dd rescue Critical Criteria:
Canvass Dd rescue planning and check on ways to get started with Dd rescue.
– Are assumptions made in Data recovery stated explicitly?
– What are internal and external Data recovery relations?
Disk partition Critical Criteria:
Revitalize Disk partition adoptions and reduce Disk partition costs.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your Data recovery project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– In what ways are Data recovery vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
Electronic devices Critical Criteria:
Chat re Electronic devices results and assess what counts with Electronic devices that we are not counting.
– Think about the people you identified for your Data recovery project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Data recovery goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– How can skill-level changes improve Data recovery?
End user Critical Criteria:
Face End user goals and find out what it really means.
– Time to market improvements. Will the move to cloud computing shorten the time it takes to deliver functional enhancements to end users?
– Does the calibration lab or calibration contractor provide the end user notification of any out of tolerance conditions?
– How do the end users of cloud computing know that their information is not having any availability and security issues?
– From the end users eyes, is it possible for the change to have a major impact on services if problems occur?
– How does the vendor handle software and hardware maintenance, end user support, and maintenance agreements?
– Will the move to cloud computing shorten the time it takes to deliver functional enhancements to end users?
– Will the change have only minimal or no impact on services provided to the end users if a problem occurs?
– Will the change have only minor impact on services provided to the end users if problems occur?
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Data recovery with what users do day-to-day?
– Is the change needed to restore immediate service to the end user?
– Will the change be visible only to a small group of end users?
– How do we Improve Data recovery service perception, and satisfaction?
– Will the change be visible to a large number of end users?
– How significant is the improvement in the eyes of the end user?
– Is the change visible to all end users?
– Can all end user classes be identified?
Error detection and correction Critical Criteria:
Confer re Error detection and correction planning and get the big picture.
– What are the key elements of your Data recovery performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– Among the Data recovery product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
Factory reset Critical Criteria:
Paraphrase Factory reset adoptions and integrate design thinking in Factory reset innovation.
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of Data recovery into the services that we provide?
– What are the short and long-term Data recovery goals?
File carving Critical Criteria:
Meet over File carving results and adjust implementation of File carving.
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about Data recovery. How do we gain traction?
– What are the long-term Data recovery goals?
– What are current Data recovery Paradigms?
File deletion Critical Criteria:
Recall File deletion visions and correct File deletion management by competencies.
– Which customers cant participate in our Data recovery domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– How do we go about Securing Data recovery?
File manager Critical Criteria:
Differentiate File manager tasks and stake your claim.
– What about Data recovery Analysis of results?
– How to Secure Data recovery?
File system Critical Criteria:
Win new insights about File system tactics and cater for concise File system education.
– When a Data recovery manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
– What is a feature of virtual machine file system (vmfs)?
– Which Data recovery goals are the most important?
File system fragmentation Critical Criteria:
Transcribe File system fragmentation visions and triple focus on important concepts of File system fragmentation relationship management.
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Data recovery requirements in detail?
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of Data recovery?
Flash memory Critical Criteria:
Deliberate over Flash memory failures and create Flash memory explanations for all managers.
– What is the source of the strategies for Data recovery strengthening and reform?
– Is a Data recovery Team Work effort in place?
Gutmann method Critical Criteria:
Examine Gutmann method governance and finalize the present value of growth of Gutmann method.
– To what extent does management recognize Data recovery as a tool to increase the results?
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Data recovery leaders?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Data recovery activities?
Hard disk drive Critical Criteria:
Brainstorm over Hard disk drive leadership and remodel and develop an effective Hard disk drive strategy.
– How important is Data recovery to the user organizations mission?
– What are the barriers to increased Data recovery production?
Hard disk drive failure Critical Criteria:
Boost Hard disk drive failure leadership and achieve a single Hard disk drive failure view and bringing data together.
– How do we know that any Data recovery analysis is complete and comprehensive?
– Think of your Data recovery project. what are the main functions?
– Have all basic functions of Data recovery been defined?
Hard disk drive platter Critical Criteria:
Infer Hard disk drive platter adoptions and figure out ways to motivate other Hard disk drive platter users.
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Data recovery project manager?
Head crash Critical Criteria:
Investigate Head crash tasks and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– In a project to restructure Data recovery outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– Why is Data recovery important for you now?
– Who needs to know about Data recovery ?
Hidden file and hidden directory Critical Criteria:
Look at Hidden file and hidden directory risks and figure out ways to motivate other Hidden file and hidden directory users.
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Data recovery processes?
– Are accountability and ownership for Data recovery clearly defined?
Live CD Critical Criteria:
Discourse Live CD adoptions and acquire concise Live CD education.
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Data recovery process?
Magnetic force microscope Critical Criteria:
Tête-à-tête about Magnetic force microscope visions and correct Magnetic force microscope management by competencies.
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Data recovery opportunities costing us money?
– How can you measure Data recovery in a systematic way?
Magnetic tape data storage Critical Criteria:
Review Magnetic tape data storage visions and find answers.
– How do we measure improved Data recovery service perception, and satisfaction?
– How do we Lead with Data recovery in Mind?
Master boot record Critical Criteria:
Familiarize yourself with Master boot record engagements and interpret which customers can’t participate in Master boot record because they lack skills.
– Does our organization need more Data recovery education?
National Industrial Security Program Critical Criteria:
Understand National Industrial Security Program outcomes and probe National Industrial Security Program strategic alliances.
– How will you know that the Data recovery project has been successful?
– Are there Data recovery problems defined?
Operating system Critical Criteria:
Read up on Operating system goals and adopt an insight outlook.
– If the firewall runs on an individual host for which all users are not trusted system administrators, how vulnerable is it to tampering by a user logged into the operating system running on the protected hosts?
– In a virtualized data center, guest operating system kernels were modified to eliminate the need for binary translation. which compute virtualization technique was used?
– what is the best design framework for Data recovery organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– What should an organization consider before migrating its applications and operating system to the public cloud to prevent vendor lock-in?
– What operating systems are used for student computers, devices, laptops, etc.?
– What operating system does your computer use?
– Is unauthorized access to operating systems prevented?
Optical disc authoring software Critical Criteria:
Sort Optical disc authoring software adoptions and work towards be a leading Optical disc authoring software expert.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which Data recovery models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– What are the disruptive Data recovery technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– Have the types of risks that may impact Data recovery been identified and analyzed?
Partition table Critical Criteria:
Cut a stake in Partition table issues and customize techniques for implementing Partition table controls.
– Consider your own Data recovery project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
Physical information security Critical Criteria:
Concentrate on Physical information security projects and correct Physical information security management by competencies.
– How do we ensure that implementations of Data recovery products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– What are the business goals Data recovery is aiming to achieve?
Printed circuit board Critical Criteria:
Consolidate Printed circuit board tasks and secure Printed circuit board creativity.
Read/write head Critical Criteria:
Examine Read/write head tactics and correct Read/write head management by competencies.
– What potential environmental factors impact the Data recovery effort?
Removable media Critical Criteria:
Inquire about Removable media risks and find answers.
– Is removable media protected and its use restricted according to your organizations policies?
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Data recovery values?
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Data recovery project?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Data recovery that make it risky?
Secondary storage Critical Criteria:
Co-operate on Secondary storage risks and find answers.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Data recovery in a volatile global economy?
Solid-state drive Critical Criteria:
Face Solid-state drive results and develop and take control of the Solid-state drive initiative.
– What management system can we use to leverage the Data recovery experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
Tape drive Critical Criteria:
Deduce Tape drive quality and shift your focus.
USB flash drive Critical Criteria:
Trace USB flash drive results and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive USB flash drive decisions.
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Data recovery Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Data recovery External links:
Data Recovery US From $199 – Get Your Free Fixed Quote Now
http://Ad · www.fields-data-recovery.com/Data_Recovery/Services
Data Recovery US From $199 – Get Your Free Fixed Quote Now
http://Ad · www.fields-data-recovery.com/Data_Recovery/Services
Adaptation data External links:
Climate Adaptation Data Catalog | California Climate …
terminology – What is adaptation data? – Stack Overflow
Anti-computer forensics External links:
Pursuit Magazine Anti-Computer Forensics
[PDF]Anti-computer forensics – docs.mipro …
Anti-computer forensics – WOW.com
Computer file External links:
Computer File Explorer – Android Apps on Google Play
MLN [computer file]. (Journal, magazine, 1962) …
PC-FILE+ (Computer file, 1987) [WorldCat.org]
Computer forensics External links:
Computer Forensics in Criminal Investigations – DUJS …
Computer Forensics Flashcards | Quizlet
Computer Forensics Tool Catalog – Home
Continuous data protection External links:
Continuous data protection – XIV LTD.
Continuous Data Protection (CDP) – Gartner IT Glossary
Continuous Data Protection – Super Shareware
Data archaeology External links:
Data Archaeology – Everything2.com
http://Data archaeology refers to the art and science of recovering computer data encoded and/or encrypted in now obsolete media or formats. Data archaeology can also refer to recovering information from damaged electronic formats after natural or man made disasters.
Global Oceanographic Data Archaeology and Rescue …
Data erasure External links:
Data Erasure Services – Green Safe IT Disposals
Enterprise Data Erasure
Data Erasure & Data Compliance | Xtech Global
Data loss External links:
Data Loss and Data Backup Statistics?
3 Common Types of Data Loss — and How to Prevent Them
Data recovery hardware External links:
Data Recovery Hardware | Platinum Systems
Data Recovery Hardware – TechRepublic
How To Install DFL-DDP Data Recovery Hardware – YouTube
Data recovery software External links:
Best Data Recovery Software – Recover Formatted, …
Data remanence External links:
Data Remanence – Springer
[PDF]Low temperature data remanence in static RAM
Disk partition External links:
Create and format a hard disk partition – Windows Help
Download Disk Partition Alignment Best Practices for …
Disk Partition Alignment Best Practices for SQL Server
Electronic devices External links:
Electronic devices on board the aircraft – Iberia
EasyAcc – Partner For Your Electronic Devices
End user External links:
End User License Agreement – PlayMaker CRM
Error detection and correction External links:
Error Detection And Correction – The Free Dictionary
Lecture – 15 Error Detection and Correction – YouTube
Hamming Code – error detection and correction – YouTube
Factory reset External links:
How to set lock to factory reset – help.schlage.com
Consumers – SBG6580: Factory Reset
File carving External links:
File Carving – InfoSec Resources
[PDF]Forensic File Carving Tool Specification
File Carving – InfoSec Institute – InfoSec Resources
File deletion External links:
File Deletion Software – FREE download File Deletion …
File manager External links:
ES File Explorer File Manager – Android Apps on Google Play
Streamworks File Manager :: Home
Best Free File Manager | Gizmo’s Freeware
File system External links:
Formatting a USB Flash Drive to NTFS file system
Common Internet File System – technet.microsoft.com
B File System – Official Site
Flash memory External links:
Flash Memory Cards | PNY
Flash Memory Cards & SD Cards – AT&T
Gutmann method External links:
Gutmann Method Secure File Deletion – Download.com
I’d never heard of the 35-part erase: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gutmann_method. The Gutmann method is an algorithm for securely erasing the contents of computer hard drives, such as files. Devised by Peter Gutmann and Colin Plumb, it does so by writing a series of 35 patterns over the region to be erased.
What is the Gutmann Method? (Data Sanitization Method)
Hard disk drive External links:
WD Black 1TB Mobile Hard Disk Drive – 7200 RPM SATA …
WD Black 4TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive – …
Hard disk drive reliability and MTBF / AFR – Seagate.com
Head crash External links:
Head crash – definition of head crash by The Free Dictionary
Two teens die in Bulls Head crash – Photo Gallery – SILive.com
Head Crash – ACS Data Recovery
Hidden file and hidden directory External links:
“Hidden file and hidden directory” on Revolvy.com
https://broom02.revolvy.com/topic/Hidden file and hidden directory
Live CD External links:
William Mcdowell – As We Worship Live CD Album
Run a Data Recovery From Our Runtime Live CD
Magnetic force microscope External links:
Magnetic force microscope study on high-anisotropy …
Magnetic tape data storage External links:
Mgtape.com: Magnetic Tape Data Storage Solutions
Master boot record External links:
Master boot record – University of Rhode Island
[PDF]Master Boot Record Save/Restore BIOS Feature for …
Restore, Fix, Repair Master Boot Record (MBR) in Windows
National Industrial Security Program External links:
[PDF]NATIONAL INDUSTRIAL SECURITY PROGRAM
EO 12829 NATIONAL INDUSTRIAL SECURITY PROGRAM
[PDF]National Industrial Security Program Operating …
Operating system External links:
Find Out Which Operating System Is on My Computer …
nCino Bank Operating System
Which Windows operating system am I running?
Optical disc authoring software External links:
optical disc authoring software | Download eBook …
Partition table External links:
Intel Partition Table – CGSecurity
GUID Partition Table.pdf | Microcomputers | Booting
GUID Partition Table – University of Rhode Island
Printed circuit board External links:
Screaming Circuits – Prototype Printed Circuit Board …
printed circuit board – Wiktionary
Printed circuit board – Efficiency Finder
Read/write head External links:
[PDF]UHF Short-Range Read/Write Head BIS VU-320 – Balluff
ANT410 – Read/write head – eclass: 27280401 / 27-28-04-01
ANT513 – Read/write head – eclass: 27280401 / 27-28-04-01
Removable media External links:
[PDF]FAA Order 1370.111 Removable media Security Policy
Secondary storage External links:
Secondary storage – IKEA News – IKEA
Solid-state drive External links:
DC400 Solid-State Drive — 480GB–1.6TB | Kingston
Tape drive External links:
VERITAS NetBackup Option Library Based Tape Drive – …
http://www.cdw.com › … › Backup/Archive/Storage Software › Backup Software
USB flash drive External links:
Install Windows from a USB Flash Drive – technet.microsoft.com
Create a Bootable USB Flash Drive – technet.microsoft.com
Download Microsoft USB Flash Drive Manager …