What is involved in Release Management
Find out what the related areas are that Release Management connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Release Management thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Release Management journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Release Management leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Release Management related domains to cover and 177 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Release Management, Agile software development, Application release automation, Build automation, Change management, Configuration management, Continuous delivery, Continuous integration, Continuous testing, DevOps, DevOps toolchain, Enterprise release management, IT portfolio management, Software, Software development process, Software engineering, Software release, Software testing, Test plan, Web application, WinOps:
Release Management Critical Criteria:
Grade Release Management failures and probe the present value of growth of Release Management.
– What happens after development: how should developers release component-based software and how can users subsequently obtain such software especially if the software under consideration consists of many components that are released by many organizations at many different geographical locations?
– Which customers cant participate in our Release Management domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– Process support: how can a project better institutionalize workflow support without adding a bureaucratic burden to the developers?
– The offeror will describe its service levels for fixes, help desk, etc. will it reduce its fees if the service levels are not met?
– How do these developers concur over long distances in environments where people rarely if ever meet face to face in a virtual organization?
– How is release management for new application services integrated with your itsm capabilities?
– Does it avoid poorly executed software handoffs between development, testing, and operations?
– What will happen to the software configuration of a customer, when she updates a certain component?
– Does it Eliminate lengthy email threads trying to achieve change approval?
– Is open source software development essentially an agile method?
– What to build, how to build it, build it, and is it built right?
– When should sunk cost be abandoned and new solutions sought ?
– How will the offeror provide support through the help desk?
– What are the Essentials of Internal Release Management Management?
– When should technology be recycled & re-used ?
– What can a cms do for an open source project?
– Who must complete a release management plan?
– How well are os projects documented?
– what is NEXT FOR RELEASE MANAGEMENT AND DEVOPS?
– All tasks complete?
Agile software development Critical Criteria:
Illustrate Agile software development results and track iterative Agile software development results.
– Can working in an agile mode assist a corporate venture in achieving good results early, in starting business, and in bringing income for the parent company?
– When youre thinking about all the different ways a product may be used in the future, do you stop at three, five, or 10 years in the future?
– What if your business needs are still emerging and certain aspects of the system are rapidly changing or cannot be defined yet?
– How do you take an approach like CMM that is heavily about management control and measurement and make it light on its feet?
– Is our organization clear about the relationship between agile software development and DevOps?
– What other types of systems might be able to benefit from this component?
– Do we ask in the sprint retrospective: What went well during the sprint?
– Do we know the difference between lean and agile software development?
– What if we substitute prototyping for user interface screens on paper?
– Should you have a strict project sequence, or should you be flexible?
– How do you develop requirements for agile software development?
– How can Trello be used as an Agile project management tool?
– What changes need to be made to agile development today?
– What challenges do teams face when scaling agile?
– Is the system subject to external regulation?
– How do disciplined agile teams work at scale?
– How is the development team organized?
– What is Scale and Why Manage It?
– When using Extreme Programming?
– What is our Agile methodology?
Application release automation Critical Criteria:
Contribute to Application release automation quality and adopt an insight outlook.
– What is the total cost related to deploying Release Management, including any consulting or professional services?
– Is the Release Management organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
– How can skill-level changes improve Release Management?
Build automation Critical Criteria:
Have a meeting on Build automation governance and don’t overlook the obvious.
– Think about the people you identified for your Release Management project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– What are all of our Release Management domains and what do they do?
– Are there Release Management Models?
Change management Critical Criteria:
Survey Change management adoptions and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Change management.
– The objective of Change Management is to ensure that standard methods and procedures are used, such that changes can be dealt with quickly, with the lowest possible impact on service quality. all changes should be traceable, in other words, one can answer the question, what changed? Do we do this?
– How should projects be phased to allow adequate time for Change Management and organizational acceptance of the selected technologies?
– Do you have formalized processes for organizational change management within your organization?
– What are some concrete ways to help executives understand the value of change management?
– Does the service providers Change Management process match the customers needs?
– In what scenarios should change management systems be introduced?
– What change management practices does your organization employ?
– Are Organizational Change managements best practices (eg Kotter) applied?
– Who are the leaders in a Change Management process?
– Who needs to know about Release Management ?
– What is workplace Change Management?
– Why do we need Change Management?
– When to start Change Management?
Configuration management Critical Criteria:
Derive from Configuration management management and define what our big hairy audacious Configuration management goal is.
– How can you experiment with a complex change and benefit from the version control system without making the change public?
– Does the provider extend their vulnerability and configuration management process to the virtualization platform?
– Can we answer questions like: Do the attributes of the configuration object reflect the change?
– What do you do when you find a build error in some other code that is related to your changes?
– Are the scm procedures for noting the change, recording it, and reporting being followed?
– Is there a documented graded approach process to operational Configuration Management?
– Have the basis for the design requirements been established documented and maintained?
– How do you test whether a module still works as it should after making a change?
– How do engineering changes interface with the configuration management process?
– Has a post-implementation assessment of your CM Program been conducted?
– Can we answer questions like: Are the test plan and results available?
– In availability management terms, what do the letters cia stand for?
– Is the correct versions of the compiler and other tools specified?
– Which of the entities should be configuration items?
– Motivation: why software Configuration Management?
– Why software Configuration Management ?
– What do we do in regression testing?
– How to make it easier to sell?
– Does the change involve a usq?
– When was change implemented?
Continuous delivery Critical Criteria:
Weigh in on Continuous delivery decisions and maintain Continuous delivery for success.
– A competitive edge, excellent. Focus on continuous delivery. Move on to continuous deployment because that is going to provide your business value. But look at your individual business. Look at your environment and say is that what gives us the competitive edge?
– Does your organization run a Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery (CI/CD) process?
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Release Management processes?
– Does your organization hope to achieve continuous delivery?
– Do we have past Release Management Successes?
Continuous integration Critical Criteria:
Scrutinze Continuous integration management and correct Continuous integration management by competencies.
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding Release Management?
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Release Management opportunities costing us money?
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Release Management leaders?
– Will we use Continuous Integration?
Continuous testing Critical Criteria:
Categorize Continuous testing projects and differentiate in coordinating Continuous testing.
– Do we monitor the Release Management decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
– Is a Release Management Team Work effort in place?
– How do we go about Securing Release Management?
DevOps Critical Criteria:
Prioritize DevOps outcomes and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– Ask yourself when youre talking about DevOps, again, its not about a product. Its about what you know and how your company is structured, how your team works together. So, one of the questions I like to ask is, Do your developers-does your development team know exactly what actual production looks like. I mean exactly. Can they tell you what production looks like?
– With this new, full-stack approach to software delivery comes new opportunity for delay. DevOps was developed as a reaction to the long lead times required for infrastructure provisioning and integration with bureaucracy-laden ITIL processes. But what are these new sources of delay in the software development lifecycle?
– Telemetry should spot any problem before the customer tells us. How long does it take to identify that which users are affected and how severely?
– Which team/individual in your organization was the primary driver for introducing the DevOps approach to application delivery?
– On average, approximately how frequently does your organization upgrade applications in a year?
– Which team is the primary sponsor for setting up DevOps practices?
– Do you have any DevOps-specific roles in your organization?
– What are your two biggest risks for DevOps implementation?
– What is the goal function, i.e., what is to be achieved?
– Do we need more information on shared goals in DevOps?
– Does your IT organization have a defined DevOps team?
– What Knowledge and Skills are Most Needed For DevOps?
– DEVOPS PRACTITIONERS Who runs DevOps Initiatives?
– What Drives the Need for DevOps?
– Are we ready for a deeper dive?
– What are we trying to achieve?
– Why is this good for security?
– Why is DevOps important?
– How far along are we?
– How many users?
DevOps toolchain Critical Criteria:
Have a session on DevOps toolchain failures and intervene in DevOps toolchain processes and leadership.
– Among the Release Management product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of Release Management?
– How do we go about Comparing Release Management approaches/solutions?
Enterprise release management Critical Criteria:
Analyze Enterprise release management adoptions and observe effective Enterprise release management.
– In the case of a Release Management project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a Release Management project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any Release Management project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– When a Release Management manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
– What are current Release Management Paradigms?
IT portfolio management Critical Criteria:
Pilot IT portfolio management projects and maintain IT portfolio management for success.
– How do we keep improving Release Management?
– Is the scope of Release Management defined?
Software Critical Criteria:
Interpolate Software outcomes and gather Software models .
– Many teams will find that informal modeling sessions around whiteboards will be sufficient, although sometimes more formal modeling sessions, such as Joint Application Design (JAD) strategies or stakeholder interviews will work best. How will nonfunctional requirements pertaining to availability, security, performance, and many other factors be addressed?
– What is the difference, if any, in customer satisfaction between the use and results of agile-driven software development methods and the use and results of plan-driven software development software development methods?
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your Release Management project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– Has anyone made unauthorized changes or additions to your systems hardware, firmware, or software characteristics without your IT departments knowledge, instruction, or consent?
– Does the software let users work with the existing data infrastructure already in place, freeing your IT team from creating more cubes, universes, and standalone marts?
– Does the company have equipment dependent on remote upgrades to firmware or software, or have plans to implement such systems?
– How will nonfunctional requirements pertaining to availability, security, performance, and many other factors be addressed?
– How does our CRM collaboration software integrate well with Google services like Google Apps and Google Docs?
– Is it important to have a very detailed specification and design before moving to implementation?
– Why should a client choose a project team which offers agile software development?
– Can agile project management be adopted by industries other than software development?
– What does it mean to develop a quality software system?
– What is our policy around the distribution of software?
– Is your software easy for IT to manage and upgrade?
– What Can We Learn From a Theory of Complexity?
– Will the team be populated by stakeholders?
– Is the software system reliable?
– Is the software system safe?
– Why Agile, and Why Now?
Software development process Critical Criteria:
Drive Software development process adoptions and figure out ways to motivate other Software development process users.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which Release Management models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– Where does User Experience come from, what does it add to the software development process and what methods are available?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Release Management activities?
– What are specific Release Management Rules to follow?
Software engineering Critical Criteria:
Steer Software engineering results and ask questions.
– DevOps isnt really a product. Its not something you can buy. DevOps is fundamentally about culture and about the quality of your application. And by quality I mean the specific software engineering term of quality, of different quality attributes. What matters to you?
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Release Management processes?
– Can we answer questions like: Was the software process followed and software engineering standards been properly applied?
– Think about the functions involved in your Release Management project. what processes flow from these functions?
– Is open source software development faster, better, and cheaper than software engineering?
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom Release Management project?
– Better, and cheaper than software engineering?
Software release Critical Criteria:
Derive from Software release outcomes and sort Software release activities.
– What vendors make products that address the Release Management needs?
– How can you measure Release Management in a systematic way?
Software testing Critical Criteria:
Wrangle Software testing quality and catalog Software testing activities.
– How likely is the current Release Management plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
– Why should we adopt a Release Management framework?
– How do we maintain Release Managements Integrity?
Test plan Critical Criteria:
Chat re Test plan goals and finalize the present value of growth of Test plan.
– What are our best practices for minimizing Release Management project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Release Management project lifecycle?
– What are internal and external Release Management relations?
– Are there Release Management problems defined?
Web application Critical Criteria:
Discuss Web application tactics and simulate teachings and consultations on quality process improvement of Web application.
– I keep a record of names; surnames and emails of individuals in a web application. Do these data come under the competence of GDPR? And do both the operator of the web application and I need to treat them that way?
– Are my web application portfolios and databases ready to migrate to the Windows Azure platform?
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Release Management ?
– Who Is Responsible for Web Application Security in the Cloud?
– How do you approach building a large web application?
– How does IT exploit a Web Application?
– How do we Lead with Release Management in Mind?
WinOps Critical Criteria:
Steer WinOps risks and document what potential WinOps megatrends could make our business model obsolete.
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Release Management that make it risky?
– Who will provide the final approval of Release Management deliverables?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Release Management Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Release Management External links:
What is Release Management? | Release Management
Product Release Management | How to build and deliver …
Agile software development External links:
Scrum Overview: Agile Software Development
What is Agile Software Development? | Agile Alliance
What is Agile? Learn About Agile Software Development
Application release automation External links:
Application Release Automation (ARA) – Gartner IT Glossary
Application Release Automation – CA Technologies
Application Release Automation | ARCAD Software
Build automation External links:
Release Management and Build Automation with TFS …
Change management External links:
Change management experts -Change Management …
[PDF]Organizational Change Management Readiness …
[PDF]Change Management Best Practices Guide
Configuration management External links:
5 Things About Configuration Management Your Boss …
http://In software engineering, software configuration management (SCM or S/W CM) is the task of tracking and controlling changes in the software, part of the larger cross-disciplinary field of configuration management. SCM practices include revision control and the establishment of baselines.
Interactive Configuration Management and Procurement …
Continuous delivery External links:
Continuous Delivery Pipeline – Scaled Agile Framework
Continuous integration External links:
Continuous integration in .NET (eBook, 2011) …
Continuous testing External links:
Continuous Testing Solutions for Enterprise | Sauce Labs
Continuous Testing – CA Technologies
SeaLights Continuous Testing Management Platform
DevOps External links:
DevOps Learning Guide for Agile, Git, & CI – Visual Studio
REAN Cloud – Managed Services | Cloud Computing | DevOps
Enterprise release management External links:
COT – CIO-101 Enterprise Release Management Policy
Plutora Enterprise Release Management Tool – Plutora…
Enterprise Release Management | Deployment …
IT portfolio management External links:
IT Portfolio Management Conference – 10times
Software development process External links:
During which phase of the software development process …
What is Software Development Process? – Definition …
Software engineering External links:
Software Engineering Institute
Software release External links:
ROCK64 Software Release – PINE64
ServiceNow Software Release — Kingston | ServiceNow …
Identifying Your Oracle Database Software Release
Software testing External links:
Software Testing and Deployment | Olenick
PractiTest: Software Testing & QA Test Management Tools
Software Testing Strategies and Best Practices | Atlassian
Test plan External links:
2017 NCLEX-PN Test Plan | NCSBN
[DOC]TEST PLAN – California
http://www.bestpractices.ca.gov/sysacq/documents/Test Plan Template.doc
Level 3 Master Test Plan Example – DICOM Homepage
Web application External links:
Logon – SAP Web Application Server
Tupperware | My Sales Web Application
WinOps External links:
WinOps | Puppet
WinOps | The conference dedicated to DevOps in a Windows …
WinOps 2017 Sam Guckenheimer – Moving 70,000 …