What is involved in Security Assessment and Testing
Find out what the related areas are that Security Assessment and Testing connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Security Assessment and Testing thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Security Assessment and Testing journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Security Assessment and Testing leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Security Assessment and Testing related domains to cover and 142 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Security Assessment and Testing, Security testing, Access control, Antivirus software, Application security, Computer access control, Computer crime, Computer security, Computer virus, Computer worm, Data-centric security, Denial of service, False positives and false negatives, Information security, Information system, Internet security, Intrusion detection system, Intrusion prevention system, Logic bomb, Mobile secure gateway, Mobile security, Multi-factor authentication, National Information Assurance Glossary, Network security, Penetration test, Screen scrape, Secure coding, Security-focused operating system, Security by design, Trojan horse, Vulnerability assessment:
Security Assessment and Testing Critical Criteria:
Accelerate Security Assessment and Testing decisions and handle a jump-start course to Security Assessment and Testing.
– What are the key elements of your Security Assessment and Testing performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– Can we do Security Assessment and Testing without complex (expensive) analysis?
– How do we keep improving Security Assessment and Testing?
Security testing Critical Criteria:
Adapt Security testing adoptions and sort Security testing activities.
– IDS/IPS traffic pattern analysis can often detect or block attacks such as a denial-of-service attack or a network scan. However, in some cases this is legitimate traffic (such as using cloud infrastructure for load testing or security testing). Does the cloud provider have a documented exception process for allowing legitimate traffic that the IDS/IPS flags as an attack pattern?
– What management system can we use to leverage the Security Assessment and Testing experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– What vendors make products that address the Security Assessment and Testing needs?
– Is there any existing Security Assessment and Testing governance structure?
Access control Critical Criteria:
Be clear about Access control failures and get going.
– Question to cloud provider: Does your platform offer fine-grained access control so that my users can have different roles that do not create conflicts or violate compliance guidelines?
– Can the access control product protect individual devices (e.g., floppy disks, compact disks–read-only memory CD-ROM, serial and parallel interfaces, and system clipboard)?
– If our security management product supports access control based on defined rules, what is the granularity of the rules supported: access control per user, group, or role?
– Can we add value to the current Security Assessment and Testing decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– Does the provider utilize Network Access Control based enforcement for continuous monitoring of its virtual machine population and virtual machine sprawl prevention?
– Access control: Are there appropriate controls over access to PII when stored in the cloud so that only individuals with a need to know will be able to access it?
– If data need to be secured through access controls (e.g. password-protected network space), how will they be applied?
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Security Assessment and Testing with what users do day-to-day?
– Do access control logs contain successful and unsuccessful login attempts and access to audit logs?
– Is the process actually generating measurable improvement in the state of logical access control?
– Access control: Are there appropriate access controls over PII when it is in the cloud?
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Security Assessment and Testing activities?
– Access Control To Program Source Code: Is access to program source code restricted?
– What is the direction of flow for which access control is required?
– Should we call it role based rule based access control, or rbrbac?
– Do the provider services offer fine grained access control?
– What type of advanced access control is supported?
– What access control exists to protect the data?
– What is our role based access control?
Antivirus software Critical Criteria:
Boost Antivirus software tasks and explain and analyze the challenges of Antivirus software.
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Security Assessment and Testing?
– Is the scope of Security Assessment and Testing defined?
– Are there Security Assessment and Testing Models?
Application security Critical Criteria:
Differentiate Application security leadership and customize techniques for implementing Application security controls.
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Security Assessment and Testing agendas for the next 3 years?
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Security Assessment and Testing project?
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of Security Assessment and Testing moving forward?
– Who Is Responsible for Web Application Security in the Cloud?
Computer access control Critical Criteria:
Generalize Computer access control strategies and remodel and develop an effective Computer access control strategy.
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Security Assessment and Testing process?
– What are the Key enablers to make this Security Assessment and Testing move?
Computer crime Critical Criteria:
Canvass Computer crime failures and assess what counts with Computer crime that we are not counting.
– Will Security Assessment and Testing have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– How do we ensure that implementations of Security Assessment and Testing products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– How do we Lead with Security Assessment and Testing in Mind?
Computer security Critical Criteria:
Consider Computer security results and figure out ways to motivate other Computer security users.
– Does your company provide end-user training to all employees on Cybersecurity, either as part of general staff training or specifically on the topic of computer security and company policy?
– Will the selection of a particular product limit the future choices of other computer security or operational modifications and improvements?
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Security Assessment and Testing study?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Security Assessment and Testing activities?
– What are the long-term Security Assessment and Testing goals?
Computer virus Critical Criteria:
Focus on Computer virus engagements and frame using storytelling to create more compelling Computer virus projects.
– What is the source of the strategies for Security Assessment and Testing strengthening and reform?
– Think of your Security Assessment and Testing project. what are the main functions?
Computer worm Critical Criteria:
Model after Computer worm tasks and finalize the present value of growth of Computer worm.
– Are assumptions made in Security Assessment and Testing stated explicitly?
Data-centric security Critical Criteria:
Survey Data-centric security projects and report on setting up Data-centric security without losing ground.
– What are our needs in relation to Security Assessment and Testing skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– Does Security Assessment and Testing appropriately measure and monitor risk?
– What is data-centric security and its role in GDPR compliance?
– Do we have past Security Assessment and Testing Successes?
Denial of service Critical Criteria:
Test Denial of service quality and ask questions.
– An administrator is concerned about denial of service attacks on their virtual machines (vms). what is an effective method to reduce the risk of this type of attack?
– How easy would it be to lose your service if a denial of service attack is launched within your cloud provider?
– Have you identified your Security Assessment and Testing key performance indicators?
– What ability does the provider have to deal with denial of service attacks?
False positives and false negatives Critical Criteria:
Systematize False positives and false negatives engagements and optimize False positives and false negatives leadership as a key to advancement.
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Security Assessment and Testing processes?
– Which customers cant participate in our Security Assessment and Testing domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Security Assessment and Testing forward?
Information security Critical Criteria:
Differentiate Information security issues and cater for concise Information security education.
– Has specific responsibility been assigned for the execution of business continuity and disaster recovery plans (either within or outside of the information security function)?
– Has the organization established an enterprise-wide business continuity/disaster recovery program that is consistent with requirements, policy, and applicable guidelines?
– Do we maintain our own threat catalogue on the corporate intranet to remind employees of the wide range of issues of concern to Information Security and the business?
– Do suitable policies for the information security exist for all critical assets of the value added chain (indication of completeness of policies, Ico )?
– Do we have an official information security architecture, based on our Risk Management analysis and information security strategy?
– Do suitable policies for the information security exist for all critical assets of the value added chain (degree of completeness)?
– Are information security roles and responsibilities coordinated and aligned with internal roles and external partners?
– Does your company have a current information security policy that has been approved by executive management?
– Is there an up-to-date information security awareness and training program in place for all system users?
– Have the roles and responsibilities for information security been clearly defined within the company?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Security Assessment and Testing?
– Is information security an it function within the company?
– What is the main driver for information security expenditure?
– Conform to the identified information security requirements?
– Is information security managed within the organization?
Information system Critical Criteria:
Think about Information system management and develop and take control of the Information system initiative.
– On what terms should a manager of information systems evolution and maintenance provide service and support to the customers of information systems evolution and maintenance?
– Has your organization conducted a cyber risk or vulnerability assessment of its information systems, control systems, and other networked systems?
– Are information security events and weaknesses associated with information systems communicated in a manner to allow timely corrective action to be taken?
– What are the disruptive Security Assessment and Testing technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– Would an information systems (is) group with more knowledge about a data production process produce better quality data for data consumers?
– Are information systems and the services of information systems things of value that have suppliers and customers?
– What are the principal business applications (i.e. information systems available from staff PC desktops)?
– What are information systems, and who are the stakeholders in the information systems game?
– How secure -well protected against potential risks is the information system ?
– Is unauthorized access to information held in information systems prevented?
– What does integrity ensure in an information system?
– Is authorized user access to information systems ensured?
– How are our information systems developed ?
– Is security an integral part of information systems?
Internet security Critical Criteria:
Jump start Internet security projects and cater for concise Internet security education.
– Think about the people you identified for your Security Assessment and Testing project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– How do your measurements capture actionable Security Assessment and Testing information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– How do we Improve Security Assessment and Testing service perception, and satisfaction?
Intrusion detection system Critical Criteria:
Bootstrap Intrusion detection system results and pay attention to the small things.
– Does Security Assessment and Testing analysis show the relationships among important Security Assessment and Testing factors?
– Can intrusion detection systems be configured to ignore activity that is generated by authorized scanner operation?
– How likely is the current Security Assessment and Testing plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
– What is a limitation of a server-based intrusion detection system (ids)?
Intrusion prevention system Critical Criteria:
Derive from Intrusion prevention system goals and perfect Intrusion prevention system conflict management.
– Are security alerts from the intrusion detection or intrusion prevention system (ids/ips) continuously monitored, and are the latest ids/ips signatures installed?
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Security Assessment and Testing values?
– What are the barriers to increased Security Assessment and Testing production?
– Is a intrusion detection or intrusion prevention system used on the network?
Logic bomb Critical Criteria:
Use past Logic bomb tactics and visualize why should people listen to you regarding Logic bomb.
– In the case of a Security Assessment and Testing project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a Security Assessment and Testing project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any Security Assessment and Testing project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Security Assessment and Testing leader?
– Is there a Security Assessment and Testing Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
Mobile secure gateway Critical Criteria:
Deliberate over Mobile secure gateway results and create a map for yourself.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Security Assessment and Testing strengthening and reform actually originate?
Mobile security Critical Criteria:
Coach on Mobile security outcomes and ask questions.
– How can you negotiate Security Assessment and Testing successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– How do we know that any Security Assessment and Testing analysis is complete and comprehensive?
– Does the Security Assessment and Testing task fit the clients priorities?
Multi-factor authentication Critical Criteria:
Infer Multi-factor authentication adoptions and find the ideas you already have.
– Does remote server administration require multi-factor authentication of administrative users for systems and databases?
– In what ways are Security Assessment and Testing vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
– Is multi-factor authentication supported for provider services?
– What are our Security Assessment and Testing Processes?
National Information Assurance Glossary Critical Criteria:
Set goals for National Information Assurance Glossary strategies and do something to it.
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Security Assessment and Testing? There might be some that are less obvious?
– How can we improve Security Assessment and Testing?
Network security Critical Criteria:
Mix Network security management and look for lots of ideas.
– Do we Make sure to ask about our vendors customer satisfaction rating and references in our particular industry. If the vendor does not know its own rating, it may be a red flag that youre dealing with a company that does not put Customer Service at the forefront. How would a company know what to improve if it had no idea what areas customers felt were lacking?
– what is the best design framework for Security Assessment and Testing organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– Are the disaster recovery plan (DRP) and the business contingency plan (BCP) tested annually?
– What threat is Security Assessment and Testing addressing?
Penetration test Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Penetration test outcomes and finalize specific methods for Penetration test acceptance.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your Security Assessment and Testing project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– Is a vulnerability scan or penetration test performed on all internet-facing applications and systems before they go into production?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Security Assessment and Testing requirements in detail?
– How to Secure Security Assessment and Testing?
Screen scrape Critical Criteria:
Scan Screen scrape adoptions and get going.
– Do we monitor the Security Assessment and Testing decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
Secure coding Critical Criteria:
Review Secure coding leadership and interpret which customers can’t participate in Secure coding because they lack skills.
– When a Security Assessment and Testing manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
Security-focused operating system Critical Criteria:
Look at Security-focused operating system strategies and describe which business rules are needed as Security-focused operating system interface.
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Security Assessment and Testing process?
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Security Assessment and Testing processes?
Security by design Critical Criteria:
Co-operate on Security by design projects and create a map for yourself.
Trojan horse Critical Criteria:
Dissect Trojan horse failures and find answers.
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Security Assessment and Testing process?
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Security Assessment and Testing project?
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Security Assessment and Testing ?
Vulnerability assessment Critical Criteria:
Weigh in on Vulnerability assessment results and catalog what business benefits will Vulnerability assessment goals deliver if achieved.
– Does your organization perform vulnerability assessment activities as part of the acquisition cycle for products in each of the following areas: Cybersecurity, SCADA, smart grid, internet connectivity, and website hosting?
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Security Assessment and Testing is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once the system is put into production (e.g., ongoing risk management after implementation)?
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Security Assessment and Testing objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– Do you have an internal or external company performing your vulnerability assessment?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Security Assessment and Testing Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Security Assessment and Testing External links:
Study Flashcards On CISSP – Security Assessment and Testing at Cram.com. Quickly memorize the terms, phrases and much more. Cram.com makes …
Tag: Security Assessment and Testing – …
Cissp – Security Assessment And Testing – Cram.com
Security testing External links:
Neural fuzzing: applying DNN to software security testing
TxDPS – Private Security Testing/Training
Network Security Testing, Training, and Management
Access control External links:
What is Access Control? – Definition from Techopedia
Multi-Factor Authentication – Access control | Microsoft Azure
Linear Pro Access – Professional Access Control Systems
Antivirus software External links:
Geek Squad Antivirus Software Download | Webroot
Top 10 Best Antivirus Software – antivirusbest10.com
http://Ad · www.antivirusbest10.com/Best-Antivirus/Software
Spybot – Search & Destroy Anti-malware & Antivirus Software
Application security External links:
What is application security? – Definition from WhatIs.com
BLM Application Security System
Chrome Rewards – Application Security – Google
Computer access control External links:
New Text Document.txt | Computer Access Control | …
CASSIE – Computer Access Control – librarica.com
Smart Card Technology: New Methods for Computer Access Control
Computer crime External links:
Computer Crime and Intellectual Property Section …
http://www.justice.gov › … › About The Criminal Division › Sections/Offices
What is a Computer Crime? (with pictures) – wiseGEEK
“Barney Miller” Computer Crime (TV Episode 1979) – IMDb
Computer security External links:
GateKeeper – Computer Security Lock | Security for Laptops
Computer Security Products for Home Users | Kaspersky Lab …
Naked Security – Computer Security News, Advice and …
Computer virus External links:
The Computer Virus (2004) – IMDb
[PPT]Computer Virus – SIUE
Title: Computer Virus – Internet Speculative Fiction Database
Computer worm External links:
[PDF]Computer Worms – School of Computing
Computer worm – Conservapedia
A computer worm is a standalone malware computer program that replicates itself in order to spread to other computers. Often, it uses a computer network to spread itself, relying on security failures on the target computer to access it.
Data-centric security External links:
DgSecure Data-Centric Security Platform | Dataguise
Denial of service External links:
Denial of Service Definition – Computer
False positives and false negatives External links:
Medical False Positives and False Negatives – …
False Positives and False Negatives – Math is Fun
Information security External links:
[PDF]TITLE III INFORMATION SECURITY – Certifications
Information Security – GSA
[PDF]TITLE: INFORMATION SECURITY MANAGEMENT …
Information system External links:
Buildings Information System
National Motor Vehicle Title Information System: …
[PDF]National Motor Vehicle Title Information System
Internet security External links:
Center for Internet Security – Official Site
AT&T – Internet Security Suite powered by McAfee
Antivirus Software, Internet Security, Spyware and …
Intrusion detection system External links:
[PDF]Intrusion Detection System Sensor Protection Profile
secureworks.com – IDS Intrusion Detection System
http://Ad · www.secureworks.com/NetworkSecurity/IPS_IDS
Intrusion Detection Systems – CERIAS
Intrusion prevention system External links:
Wireless Intrusion Prevention System (WIPS) | …
Cisco Next-Generation Intrusion Prevention System (NGIPS)
Intrusion prevention system
http://Intrusion prevention systems (IPS), also known as intrusion detection and prevention systems (IDPS), are network security appliances that monitor network and/or system activities for malicious activity. The main functions of intrusion prevention systems are to identify malicious activity, log information about this activity, attempt to block/stop it, and report it.
Logic bomb External links:
The Logic Bomb by Scott Richard Lord – Goodreads
Logic Bomb – TV Tropes
Browse and Read Logic Bomb Logic Bomb logic bomb
Mobile secure gateway External links:
Mobile secure gateway – YouTube
Mobile secure gateway – Revolvy
https://broom02.revolvy.com/topic/Mobile secure gateway
Mobile secure gateway – iSnare Free Encyclopedia
Mobile security External links:
Find Your Lost or Stolen Android Device | AVG Mobile Security
Vipre Mobile Security
The Arlo Go Mobile Security Camera uses Verizon’s 4G LTE network to supply HD live streams or cloud-stored recordings.
Multi-factor authentication External links:
Multi-Factor Authentication™ | User Portal
Multi-Factor Authentication – Access control | Microsoft Azure
National Information Assurance Glossary External links:
National Information Assurance Glossary – English …
https://glosbe.com/en/fr/National Information Assurance Glossary
National Information Assurance Glossary – WOW.com
Network security External links:
Medicine Bow Technologies – Network Security Colorado
Home Network Security | Trend Micro
NIKSUN – Network Security and Performance
Penetration test External links:
Cyber Smart Defence | Penetration Test Ethical Hacking …
Standard Penetration Test – Geotechdata.info
[PDF]Standard Penetration Test Driller’s / Operator’s …
Screen scrape External links:
http://Screen scraping is programming that translates between legacy application programs (written to communicate with now generally obsolete input/output devices and user interfaces) and new user interfaces so that the logic and data associated with the legacy programs can continue to be used.
c# – How do you Screen Scrape? – Stack Overflow
web scraping – How do screen scrapers work? – Stack Overflow
Secure coding External links:
Secure Coding in C & C++ – SANS Information Security …
iOS Secure Coding eTraining – Defensive & Attacker Insights
http://Ad · info.codebashing.com/Dev-Secure-Code/Get-Free-Demo
Security by design External links:
Security by Design – Detroit, MI – inc.com
Global Privacy and Security By Design
Security by Design Principles – OWASP
Trojan horse External links:
The Trojan Horse – Restaurant & Tavern
Trojan horse | Story & Facts | Britannica.com
The Maple Syrup – Baking Soda Trojan Horse Detox | …
Vulnerability assessment External links:
Vulnerability Assessment – eventtracker.com
http://Ad · www.eventtracker.com/Vulnerability/Assessment
Vulnerability Assessment – eventtracker.com
http://Ad · www.eventtracker.com/Vulnerability/Assessment
Vulnerability Assessment – alienvault.com
http://Ad · www.alienvault.com/Vulnerability