What is involved in Unified Communications
Find out what the related areas are that Unified Communications connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Unified Communications thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Unified Communications and Collaboration UCC journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Unified Communications and Collaboration UCC leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Unified Communications related domains to cover and 127 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Unified Communications, Call control, Collaborative software, Communications service provider, Computer network, Computer speech recognition, Desktop sharing, Digital signage, Emergency communication system, Extension Mobility, Fixed-mobile convergence, IBM Lotus Sametime, IP telephony, Instant messaging, Intelligent network service, Interactive whiteboard, Internet Protocol Television, Juniper Networks, Key telephone system, Lotus Notes, Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Windows, Mobile collaboration, Mozilla Thunderbird, Network World, Office Communications Server, Phone company, Presence information, Presence service, Private branch exchange, Real-time Transport Protocol, Software as a service, Speech recognition, Telecommunication circuit, Telephone exchange, Unified Communications Interoperability Forum, Unified Communications as a Service, Unified communications management, Unified messaging, Unify GmbH & Co. KG, Video conferencing, Voice over Internet Protocol:
Unified Communications Critical Criteria:
Trace Unified Communications adoptions and devote time assessing Unified Communications and its risk.
– How do we Improve Unified Communications service perception, and satisfaction?
– What are the short and long-term Unified Communications goals?
Call control Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Call control goals and achieve a single Call control view and bringing data together.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which Unified Communications models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Unified Communications is underway?
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Unified Communications goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
Collaborative software Critical Criteria:
Experiment with Collaborative software adoptions and report on the economics of relationships managing Collaborative software and constraints.
– Think about the functions involved in your Unified Communications project. what processes flow from these functions?
– Is there any existing Unified Communications governance structure?
– Are there Unified Communications problems defined?
Communications service provider Critical Criteria:
Tête-à-tête about Communications service provider goals and integrate design thinking in Communications service provider innovation.
– If voip is classified as a telecommunications service, should access charges for it be different from those paid by non-ip-enabled telecommunications service providers?
– Is maximizing Unified Communications protection the same as minimizing Unified Communications loss?
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Unified Communications with what users do day-to-day?
Computer network Critical Criteria:
Revitalize Computer network tactics and get the big picture.
– Is the illegal entry into a private computer network a crime in your country?
– How is the value delivered by Unified Communications being measured?
– How will you measure your Unified Communications effectiveness?
– How to deal with Unified Communications Changes?
Computer speech recognition Critical Criteria:
Systematize Computer speech recognition quality and document what potential Computer speech recognition megatrends could make our business model obsolete.
– Have the types of risks that may impact Unified Communications been identified and analyzed?
– Are assumptions made in Unified Communications stated explicitly?
Desktop sharing Critical Criteria:
Conceptualize Desktop sharing tasks and cater for concise Desktop sharing education.
– Which Unified Communications goals are the most important?
– How to Secure Unified Communications?
Digital signage Critical Criteria:
Shape Digital signage tasks and create Digital signage explanations for all managers.
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of Unified Communications?
– How do we Lead with Unified Communications in Mind?
Emergency communication system Critical Criteria:
Be clear about Emergency communication system strategies and simulate teachings and consultations on quality process improvement of Emergency communication system.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Unified Communications? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– Will Unified Communications have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– When a Unified Communications manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
Extension Mobility Critical Criteria:
Communicate about Extension Mobility issues and adopt an insight outlook.
– To what extent does management recognize Unified Communications as a tool to increase the results?
Fixed-mobile convergence Critical Criteria:
Consider Fixed-mobile convergence management and look in other fields.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Unified Communications strengthening and reform actually originate?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Unified Communications?
– Can we do Unified Communications without complex (expensive) analysis?
IBM Lotus Sametime Critical Criteria:
Confer re IBM Lotus Sametime outcomes and pioneer acquisition of IBM Lotus Sametime systems.
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a Unified Communications strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– Is Unified Communications dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
– How can you measure Unified Communications in a systematic way?
IP telephony Critical Criteria:
Drive IP telephony projects and sort IP telephony activities.
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Unified Communications study?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Unified Communications requirements in detail?
– Why is Unified Communications important for you now?
Instant messaging Critical Criteria:
Add value to Instant messaging risks and catalog Instant messaging activities.
– Are you looking for a vendor to provide instant messaging built into the solution so users of the system can instant message each other?
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Unified Communications process?
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Unified Communications project?
– How do we manage Unified Communications Knowledge Management (KM)?
Intelligent network service Critical Criteria:
Prioritize Intelligent network service decisions and simulate teachings and consultations on quality process improvement of Intelligent network service.
– What are our needs in relation to Unified Communications skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– Is Unified Communications Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
Interactive whiteboard Critical Criteria:
Concentrate on Interactive whiteboard engagements and frame using storytelling to create more compelling Interactive whiteboard projects.
– For your Unified Communications project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Unified Communications activities?
– Do we have past Unified Communications Successes?
Internet Protocol Television Critical Criteria:
Substantiate Internet Protocol Television quality and probe the present value of growth of Internet Protocol Television.
– How can you negotiate Unified Communications successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Unified Communications opportunities costing us money?
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Unified Communications leaders?
Juniper Networks Critical Criteria:
Add value to Juniper Networks tasks and budget for Juniper Networks challenges.
– What are the key elements of your Unified Communications performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– Do those selected for the Unified Communications team have a good general understanding of what Unified Communications is all about?
Key telephone system Critical Criteria:
Coach on Key telephone system decisions and report on developing an effective Key telephone system strategy.
– Will Unified Communications deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
– What is our Unified Communications Strategy?
Lotus Notes Critical Criteria:
Reorganize Lotus Notes risks and separate what are the business goals Lotus Notes is aiming to achieve.
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Unified Communications?
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Unified Communications processes?
Microsoft Outlook Critical Criteria:
Communicate about Microsoft Outlook engagements and forecast involvement of future Microsoft Outlook projects in development.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Unified Communications is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Unified Communications processes?
– Does Unified Communications create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
Microsoft Windows Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Microsoft Windows planning and summarize a clear Microsoft Windows focus.
– What are the barriers to increased Unified Communications production?
– What are current Unified Communications Paradigms?
Mobile collaboration Critical Criteria:
Examine Mobile collaboration tactics and define Mobile collaboration competency-based leadership.
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about Unified Communications. How do we gain traction?
– How will you know that the Unified Communications project has been successful?
– What is our formula for success in Unified Communications ?
Mozilla Thunderbird Critical Criteria:
Contribute to Mozilla Thunderbird leadership and summarize a clear Mozilla Thunderbird focus.
Network World Critical Criteria:
Align Network World planning and report on setting up Network World without losing ground.
– In what ways are Unified Communications vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
– How do we measure improved Unified Communications service perception, and satisfaction?
Office Communications Server Critical Criteria:
Experiment with Office Communications Server results and get answers.
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Unified Communications objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– What are the Key enablers to make this Unified Communications move?
Phone company Critical Criteria:
Wrangle Phone company visions and give examples utilizing a core of simple Phone company skills.
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Unified Communications forward?
– Who needs to know about Unified Communications ?
Presence information Critical Criteria:
Define Presence information goals and oversee Presence information requirements.
Presence service Critical Criteria:
Judge Presence service quality and report on developing an effective Presence service strategy.
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Unified Communications?
– Are there Unified Communications Models?
Private branch exchange Critical Criteria:
Discuss Private branch exchange issues and oversee Private branch exchange management by competencies.
– What business benefits will Unified Communications goals deliver if achieved?
– Who will provide the final approval of Unified Communications deliverables?
– How can we improve Unified Communications?
Real-time Transport Protocol Critical Criteria:
Test Real-time Transport Protocol governance and interpret which customers can’t participate in Real-time Transport Protocol because they lack skills.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your Unified Communications project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Unified Communications does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– Does the Unified Communications task fit the clients priorities?
Software as a service Critical Criteria:
Chat re Software as a service governance and describe the risks of Software as a service sustainability.
– Why are Service Level Agreements a dying breed in the software as a service industry?
– Think of your Unified Communications project. what are the main functions?
– How would one define Unified Communications leadership?
Speech recognition Critical Criteria:
Align Speech recognition adoptions and adjust implementation of Speech recognition.
– Among the Unified Communications product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
Telecommunication circuit Critical Criteria:
Weigh in on Telecommunication circuit strategies and handle a jump-start course to Telecommunication circuit.
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Unified Communications leader?
Telephone exchange Critical Criteria:
Survey Telephone exchange planning and optimize Telephone exchange leadership as a key to advancement.
– Think about the people you identified for your Unified Communications project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Unified Communications objectives?
Unified Communications Interoperability Forum Critical Criteria:
Illustrate Unified Communications Interoperability Forum tasks and differentiate in coordinating Unified Communications Interoperability Forum.
– Do Unified Communications rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
– Are accountability and ownership for Unified Communications clearly defined?
Unified Communications as a Service Critical Criteria:
X-ray Unified Communications as a Service governance and track iterative Unified Communications as a Service results.
– Do we monitor the Unified Communications decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
Unified communications management Critical Criteria:
Investigate Unified communications management outcomes and handle a jump-start course to Unified communications management.
– Who sets the Unified Communications standards?
– How do we keep improving Unified Communications?
Unified messaging Critical Criteria:
Study Unified messaging tasks and find out what it really means.
– Are there recognized Unified Communications problems?
– Are we Assessing Unified Communications and Risk?
Unify GmbH & Co. KG Critical Criteria:
Rank Unify GmbH & Co. KG outcomes and get out your magnifying glass.
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Unified Communications agendas for the next 3 years?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Unified Communications that make it risky?
– How do we maintain Unified Communicationss Integrity?
Video conferencing Critical Criteria:
Check Video conferencing management and pioneer acquisition of Video conferencing systems.
– Do we all define Unified Communications in the same way?
Voice over Internet Protocol Critical Criteria:
Accommodate Voice over Internet Protocol issues and look for lots of ideas.
– Is Unified Communications Required?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Unified Communications and Collaboration UCC Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Unified Communications External links:
Unified Communications & Conferencing Solution | Revolabs
OUC | Office of Unified Communications
ReadyTalk – Unified Communications; Audio, Video & …
Call control External links:
Virtual Phone System for Complete Call Control | RingCentral
Skype for Business 2015: Plan for remote call control
Call Control – Official Site
Collaborative software External links:
Collaborative software solutions from MultiTaction
Fordaq | Collaborative Software Solutions
Home – IRIS Business Architect collaborative software
Communications service provider External links:
[PDF]COMMUNICATIONS SERVICE PROVIDER …
Computer network External links:
Remote services, computer network, PC Health Check – …
What is a Computer Network? – Definition from Techopedia
Computer speech recognition External links:
[PDF]Computer Speech Recognition and Language …
GitHub – alvinj/Sarah: A computer speech recognition …
COMPUTER SPEECH RECOGNITION WITH NEURAL …
Desktop sharing External links:
Windows Desktop Sharing is used by software developers to create applications that use multiple-party screen-sharing technology. Key scenarios include remote assistance, real-time collaboration and conferencing, and video communication.
Remote Desktop Sharing
http://Ad · ManageEngine.com/DesktopSharing
Join a Desktop Sharing Session | www.mikogo.com
Digital signage External links:
NoviSign Digital Signage – Official Site
Rise Vision Digital Signage Content Management
Easy To Use Digital Signage Solutions From Nixplay Signage
Emergency communication system External links:
[PDF]Emergency Communication System for First …
Contact Emergency Communication System Provider | …
Easy Emergency Communications – Emergency Communication System
http://Ad · alertfind.com/emergency_alert
Extension Mobility External links:
EXTENSION MOBILITY- XML Error  Parse Error ?? – …
Configuring Extension Mobility – YouTube
Extension Mobility Login | Office of IT
IBM Lotus Sametime External links:
IBM Lotus Sametime Meetings Help Index
IBM Lotus Sametime Meetings – Tata Consultancy Services
Sharing your screen with IBM Lotus Sametime – YouTube
IP telephony External links:
IP Telephony Voice over IP (VoIP) – Cisco
Packet Tracer 6.1 tutorial – IP telephony basic configuration
About Advance2000, IP Telephony and Cloud Computing …
Instant messaging External links:
CME Pivot Instant Messaging Platform
ICE Instant Messaging
Business Instant Messaging Software | LivePerson
Intelligent network service External links:
[PDF]Requirements for intelligent network service …
[PDF]17 Intelligent Network Service Creation: an ITU-T CS …
Patent EP0722257B1 – Intelligent network service …
Interactive whiteboard External links:
Interactive Whiteboards – officedepot.com
http://Ad · www.officedepot.com/OfficeSupplies/Boards
Interactive Whiteboard Games | PBS KIDS
Free Interactive Whiteboard Resources | TeachHUB
Internet Protocol Television External links:
IPTV: Internet Protocol Television – Reddit-IPTV
Completed project: Internet Protocol Television (IPTV)
Juniper Networks External links:
Login : Juniper Networks
JNPR : Summary for Juniper Networks, Inc. – Yahoo Finance
Juniper Networks – Official Site
Key telephone system External links:
[PDF]SERVICE 1 A2 KEY TELEPHONE SYSTEM KEY …
1A2 Key Telephone System Demonstration – YouTube
Toshiba CTX 670 CIX 670 Key Telephone System
Lotus Notes External links:
What Is Lotus Notes? – julian robichaux
How to Configure the Lotus Notes Client
How to Recall an Email in Lotus Notes | Chron.com
Microsoft Outlook External links:
Set Up AT&T Email in Microsoft Outlook 2013 – Email Support
Download Update for Microsoft Outlook 2016 (KB4011123) …
Microsoft Outlook Express – Download.com
Microsoft Windows External links:
Apps | Microsoft Windows 10 | Official Site
Microsoft Windows Update
Download Microsoft Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1 …
Mobile collaboration External links:
Mobile Collaboration | Plantronics
IBM Mobile Collaboration Services – Overview – United …
Mobile Collaboration – MIT Technology Review
Mozilla Thunderbird External links:
Mozilla Thunderbird is a free email program that offers a range of options for PC users without access to robust paid software like Microsoft Outlook. Allowing
Configure Mozilla Thunderbird 16.0 and Up for Comcast …
The Mozilla Thunderbird Blog
Network World External links:
Network World (@NetworkWorld) | Twitter
Network World – Home | Facebook
Network World IT Roadmap • IDG
Office Communications Server External links:
Download Office Communications Server 2007 R2 …
Office Communications Server or Lync Server 2010 …
Download Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007 …
Phone company External links:
Southern Phone Company
Press Room | Mobile News | Cell Phone Company | U.S. Cellular
Presence information External links:
Set my presence information | MSDN
Configure presence information – technet.microsoft.com
Phone Presence Information | RingCentral
Presence service External links:
Cisco Unified Communications Manager IM & Presence Service
Private branch exchange External links:
What is Private Branch Exchange (PBX)? Webopedia …
What is Hosted Private Branch Exchange (Hosted PBX)?
What is private branch exchange (PBX) ? – Definition …
Real-time Transport Protocol External links:
Real-Time Transport Protocol (RTP) Parameters
Display Filter Reference: Real-Time Transport Protocol
What is Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP)?
Software as a service External links:
What is SaaS? Software as a Service | Microsoft Azure
Software as a Service – Banking Solutions | FinReach
DENTAWEB Software as a service
Speech recognition External links:
Nuance Dragon Speech Recognition – YouTube
Dictate text using Speech Recognition – Windows Help
What are the top ten speech recognition APIs? – Quora
Telecommunication circuit External links:
http://A telecommunication circuit is any line, conductor, or other conduit by which information is transmitted. A dedicated circuit, private circuit, or leased line is a line that is dedicated to only one use. Originally, this was analog, and was often used by radio stations as a studio/transmitter link (STL) or remote pickup unit (RPU) for their audio, sometimes as a backup to other means.
Telephone exchange External links:
The Telephone Exchange (1982) British Telecom Schools …
Business Telephone eXchange – Home
North American Telephone Exchange Lookup by NPA NXX
Unified Communications Interoperability Forum External links:
Unified Communications Interoperability Forum (UCIF)
Unified Communications as a Service External links:
UCaaS 101: Simplifying Unified Communications as a Service
UCaaS, Unified Communications As A Service | Masergy
Level365 Unified Communications as a Service (UCaaS)
Unified communications management External links:
[PDF]Using Unified Communications Management (UCM) …
[PDF]Nortel Unified Communications Management …
Solutions – Unified Communications Management – VOSS
Unified messaging External links:
AT&T Voicemail Viewer App | Digital Phone & Unified Messaging
Unified Messaging | Georgia Technology Authority
Voice mail in Exchange Online: Unified Messaging
Unify GmbH & Co. KG External links:
Unify GmbH & Co. KG – RSA Security
Video conferencing External links:
Cisco WebEx | Video conferencing
Voice over Internet Protocol External links:
When was the first Voice over Internet Protocol invented
Bogen VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol)
Understanding Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) | US …